Previous Model
Next Model

Master Arminius is a Dark Angels Commander I converted a while ago. The main body is from Commander Azrael. The axe came from what was once a limited edition Space Marine Captain that has recently been added to the regular blister line. This actually makes me sad, since part of my joy in this conversion was that I had chopped up bits from two limited edition figures, but GW has managed to steal my thunder here. The other arm, the one holding the skull, came from the rare Sergeant Centurius model.

I am quite pleased with how this figure has come out, though I had run out of steam on him for a while. But I finally got back around to him, and now he is complete! While his armor is really well blended (some of my best to date), I wanted to do his weapons in NMM style. Sadly, my mastery of this style is not up to par and to do it now would bring down what is otherwise looking to be a fine paint job. Upon further reflection I decided to learn some of the better glazing techniques I have learned to paint the weapons using traditional metallic paints. I will still work on learning the NMM technique, but I suspect metallics will remain my favored style.

You may have noticed that the backpack was mounted on a toothpick for a while. Normally, I try to assemble a model completely before painting, but in this case I wanted noting in my way when I tackled the blending on this armor. Also on this figure, I worked more on bringing my highlights up higher to give the figure more "pop".

The base is two layers of cork on top of a War Machine 40mm base. After painting, it was decorated with static grass and Hudson & Allen model leaves.

Year Painted: 2004

Arminius: From Inception To Present...
(Each image is a link to a full-size copy)
The bits I used...
Where the new bits were pinned into the main body...
Master Arminius assembled and ready to be primed. A little bit of Green Stuff fills in the edge of of the forearm holding the skull and is also sculpted into a proper joint where the two bits meet.
Most of the blending on the armor is done. The base color of the robes has been applied. I primered the figure white initially, but washed most of it with a coat of thinned black.
The robes have been fully painted, and I went back to add some brighter highlights to the armor. I have applied the first few layers to the brown areas. The weapon has been painted black and then sketched on with white paint as I pondered attempting NMM...
I have decided against NMM on this figure and am instead using traditional metallic paints with glazing based on the Gately Goop method. I like the rich color this glazing technique gives the metals...
I have finished highlighting the metallics and the browns. I have also painted the skull details and the red bits. The base color has been applied to the face and hair. I am still not happy with the axe, especially the blade. I might repaint it yet again...
I did some detail on the face, but still have a bit more to do. I scraped all the paint off of the axe blade and have repainted it a base dark blue in preperation for turning it into a power axe. I added some glazing to the skulls which helped tone them down a lot. I still need to glaze the purity seal however. But this guy is on the home stretch...

Pretty much done. I screwed up the face BADLY at one point and had to repaint it. I want to fix a bit of the skull, and fix a bit of the armor highlighting (like the feet), but he's pretty much good to go.

Now I only need to make his base...